Watermelon is known mainly as a Portland / Denver web design and development agency, but we also handle digital marketing for many of our clients. Our WordPress maintenance and SEO package combines these two skill sets into an affordable package that keeps your website secure, healthy, and growing.
Keeping Your WordPress Site Healthy
One of our most popular and frequently requested services, WordPress Maintenance and SEO is a good fit for WordPress website owners who do not have an in-house web team. We track key metrics (customized for your site and business goals) and ensure that software updates are integrated into your site’s existing ecosystem so that it stays healthy for the long run.
WordPress is a powerful and user-friendly content management system, and it is perfectly reasonable to expect the same WordPress website that you operate today to be modern, up to date five years from now – with a completely different design if need be. Your WordPress website is a valuable asset worth maintaining. That’s one reason that we choose WordPress as one of our primary development tools. It is a multi-million dollar piece of software that you get for free. Lots of people agree with us – 27% of the internet runs on WordPress – sites such as Sony Music, CNN, Google Ventures and the New Yorker magazine all use WordPress.
In addition, we provide free access for our maintenance clients to our developer licenses for many popular plugin, including Gravity Forms.
Popularity makes WP a popular target
Because it is so popular and because WordPress is open source (software for which the source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified), it is also a popular target for malware, hacking and other online mischief that can cause site owners a lot of problems. We offer our clients a monthly package that includes security updates to the WordPress core as well as all site plugins (and APIs when necessary). Once we apply our time-tested processes to get the existing software base healthy where needed, plugins (added functionality) are generally easy for us to maintain, so we apply any remaining time in the WordPress maintenance and SEO package to digital marketing and SEO. We generally get excellent results with our SEO methods. Our aim is to make our maintenance package much more valuable to your business than what you pay for it.
Our standard WordPress Maintenance and SEO Package package includes the following:
- Detailed scan of site for malware, and correction of any existing issues. This particular item essentially acts as insurance against any unexpected issues that develop on the site (ie. If you have a monthly service package with us, there will be no additional charge for any work we do to mitigate such problems, should they occur).
- Detailed scan of site for error logs, and report of any existing issues and recommended corrective action.
- Updating, configuration, and testing of WordPress core and plugins (when appropriate). Generally speaking, it is best to have the latest version of all plugins and software installed on the site. With some plugins, this is not always the case, especially in the case of customizations. Each month we will do a detailed scan of each plugin and software package to make sure it is healthy and compatible with the version of WordPress installed on the site.
- Updating the theme installed on the site, and verifying that there are no compatibility issues with the latest version of WordPress and plugins.
- Perform W3C code validation on the site to ensure any newly added content/code meets the The World Wide Web Consortium standards (this is important for forward compatibility and for search engine’s ability to recognize targeted content).
- Full review of Google Webmaster Tools to check for any search indexing issues. This includes mobile usability auditing, sitemap installation and monitoring, structured data review, crawls errors review and analysis, and a number of other search engine related health checks.
- Review disk space and bandwidth usage to ensure current hosting package is appropriate, and investigate and correct any issues (core dump files, error logs, etc.).
- Review site performance and apply gzip compression and browser caching, if appropriate. Run performance analysis and provide recommendations on techniques to improve performance.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Updates:
- Establish and monitor of search engine ranking and listing goals including reports on page rank, traffic, etc. using the tool set that we have developed over 15 years in the business.
- Ongoing SEO work to include: local business optimization, page content keyword analysis and recommendations (includes file names, header markup, keyword density), schema.org markup for addresses/business name/etc., competitive analysis and recommendations.
- Off-site maintenance. This includes directories and Watermelon standard off-site resources as well as the off-site resources that are tailored for your industry / business by your Watermelon Projects team.
Monthly Reports on Your WordPress Site
Each month we provide you with a detailed report on the above items and a list of recommendations. Below is a blank report template showing the items covered during maintenance.
We work with each of our clients individually to determine appropriate goals and business success factors for a given site. Get in touch so that we can discuss what will work best for your site.WordPress Maintenance and SEO Report Sample.docx